Deciding on the right senior living option involves more than just selecting the right type of accommodation option. Exceptional retirement communities can be life-changing, providing access to a more active lifestyle, meaningful relationships, and a remarkable feeling of connection. If you are weighing your options, you may be wondering about the benefits of independent living vs. assisted living. Here is what you need to know to help you make an informed decision.
Independent living communities offer a broad selection of accommodation options and home sizes, though most residents live in cottages or apartments. Independent living communities provide residents with a similar lifestyle to living at home but with many extra amenities. You will no longer have to fuss over home upkeep and will also have access to housekeeping services. You will also get to participate in a wide array of senior living activities and have access to various amenities such as the following:
- A daily lineup of programs that include celebrations, classes, community outings, and volunteer opportunities
- Chef-prepared meals that will cater to your personal tastes and dietary restrictions
- Beautiful common spaces lined with landscaped paths, fitness centers, pools, dog parks, and more
- First-rate surroundings packed with welcoming areas and grand dining rooms
The benefits of independent living are as follows:
- Maintenance-free senior living lifestyle
- A deeper sense of community
- Reduced isolation and deeper connection
- Lesser stressors and obligations so you can invest your time and energy on your personal interests
- Opportunities for healthy living and stimulating conversations
- Fine dining that can be tailored to your personal tastes and dietary restrictions
Assisted living offers similar benefits to independent living but residents will receive additional assistance for their activities of daily living. Residents are free to choose from a broad array of accommodation options but most assisted living communities provide one-bedroom and studio apartments. Assisted living communities feature homes that are designed to provide residents with easy access and optimum safety so they can remain independent.
Assisted living is an ideal senior living option for older adults who require support for their activities of daily living while still hoping for privacy and freedom. The level of support offered in assisted living communities will allow residents to stay independent to lead a healthier lifestyle while still having ready assistance whenever it is needed. Residents get to pursue their personal interests and explore new hobbies within a safe and secure environment.
The benefits of assisted living are as follows:
- Accommodation, care services, and meals will be tailored to residents’ personal needs
- The exceptional care rendered to assisted living residents will provide them with independence and privacy and facilitated by trained healthcare professionals
- Residents will receive the 24-hour support they need to stay independent for as long as possible
- Residents do not need to rely on their family caregivers for support and this will provide residents with a sense of balance and can also reduce caregiver stress
- For a retirement community that offers both independent living and assisted living senior living options, residents can easily transition from one program to the other based on their changing needs.